Consumables Have a Real Environmental Cost and Use None Sustainable Resources
- Carbon Black is a major component of toner
- A typical toner cartridge consumes 1 to 2 litres of oil
in its manufacture producing up to 4.8kg of CO².
- The UK therefore uses up to 200,000,000 litres of oil and
creates 480,000 metric tonnes of C0² from the use of
- Toner contains 6 noxious chemicals including carcinogens
- Laser printers create toxic landfill waste. A typical colour
laser creates 157 lbs from 100,000 pages.
- In the UK some 75 million toner cartridges go to landfill
every year. (Friends of The Earth Scotland) This
represents 133,930 tonnes of waste to landfill
- Inkjet cartridges take 450 years to degrade (47 million pa)
- 20% of office print is waste (50 Sheets per person per